alwaysdoing

Always Doing

Escapist reading for those who are always doing.

きょうは会社やすみます。
Mari Fujimura, 藤村真理
Tolstoy and the Purple Chair: My Year of Magical Reading - Nina Sankovitch Many "stunt" memoirs are about doing a crazy, unsustainable thing - making every recipe from a huge cookbook, living to the letter of the Bible, going without or making do with.Nina Sankovitch makes it clear from the beginning that she will not fail. For her reading a book a day for an entire year isn't a trial, but an escape and path to healing after the loss of her sister. By giving herself permission to take a year "off" and simplify her life she finds what she was looking for... and what she was running from.If I found this book at a different point in my life - after a profound loss of my own, say - it would have been more meaningful. I live on the other side of the world from my family and have no sisters nor kids of my own, making it hard for me to identify with much of what Sankovitch talks about. Even so I was left misty eyed repeatedly... not good when you're reading in a restaurant. But hey, at least it wasn't crowded. This would be a great read for someone that's looking to restart their life after a death of a loved one. While many works are mentioned if you're itching for book on book action you'll probably be disappointed.