Always Doing

Escapist reading for those who are always doing.

Mari Fujimura, 藤村真理
The Downhill Lie: A Hacker's Return to a Ruinous Sport - Carl Hiaasen My second golf book in a month. I'm not a fan of the sport but after the horrible [b:Tales from Q School|75635|Tales from Q School Inside Golf's Fifth Major|John Feinstein|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1170878965s/75635.jpg|73167] it deserved a second chance.Hiaasen decided to get back into golf after decades away and spent a year and a half, a sizable chunk of change, and many hours of frustration trying to get his stroke back. I knew I'd like him from the first line of the preface: "There are so many people to blame for this book that it's hard to know where to begin."What makes this memoir better than the Q School slog is that Hiaasen actually has a life and gets away from the action now and then. There are stories about his dad (a golfer himself, who died suddenly many years ago), how courses have become a refuge for wildlife in highly developed Florida, and fly fishing. All relate back to golf in one way or another and allow a breather from the action.While plodding at times (especially during the last tourney) the book was easy enough for this non-golfer to follow and enjoy.