alwaysdoing

Always Doing

Escapist reading for those who are always doing.

きょうは会社やすみます。
Mari Fujimura, 藤村真理
Dark Lover - J.R. Ward I really wanted to fall head over heels for this book, considering that I keep seeing this series again and again in paranormal "best of" lists. While the character development was awesome there were too many things that distracted me to warrant a higher rating.First the little stuff - this book is sooo close to being timeless, but she went and threw in pop culture references, grah. In my ebook edition one of them was slugger "Sammy Sousa". Ahem. There were also a couple of phrases that annoyed me, like "weed out... the best". No, you weed out the worst so the best can survive. "Cull" doesn't work for the same reason, but "hand pick" and others will.The story changes focus quite often, following several characters' stories until they merge for three minutes at the end. Speaking of - the final fight was over way too fast and had next to no suspense. I mean, the bad guy's animals were better fighters than the actual bad guy. Disappointing.Choices come easily to these characters but most are explained. Beth and Butch chose new lives because their previous ones were sad sack. Wrath seems to be driven by fate or what have you, and I can accept that. The rest of the brothers obviously have their own moral codes and I'm looking forward to spending more time with them in later books.I'm tempted to give this four stars, but my three star criteria is "good but flawed" and alas, there it fits.