Always Doing

Escapist reading for those who are always doing.

Mari Fujimura, 藤村真理
The Knitter's Book of Socks: The Yarn Lover's Ultimate Guide to Creating Socks That Fit Well, Feel Great, and Last a Lifetime - Clara Parkes I learned a lot about the fundamental make up of yarn, namely how ply, twist, and crimp can work for you or against you in a sock yarn. I was impressed how even handed the discussion of technique was, acknowledging differing opinions in the knitting world. Most people think 1x1 is the stretchiest rib, but Elizabeth Zimmerman thought it was 2x2. Twisted stitches can be good for tightening up a pattern, but so-and-so points out the yarn may wear out faster... and so on.The patterns are from designers you know and love, including Cat Bordhi, Anne Hanson, Cookie A, Jared Flood, and Nancy Bush, with a few newer faces as well. I read an ebook from the library so I can't vouch for the charts or technical editing but I appreciated that several closeup shots were included with every pattern. Many of these socks would do better with a solid or semi-solid yarn but there's something for everyone, from two pairs of "indestructible" socks to lace to cables to colorwork.The writing style is refreshingly human, the information is interesting and informative, and I could see myself knitting several of the patterns. However, I cannot see myself buying a copy for my own shelf... maybe if the information was a little more in depth, or maybe if a few more of the patterns called to me.